Hey all! I pray that all is awesome wherever you are in life! I am SO excited for my first blog post about something that I’ve learned in my DTS. This week, one of my leaders, Dale, taught us about spiritual warfare. It was super cool to see him in a teaching position in the classroom as he is usually not teaching us in there [he is usually teaching us life lessons throughout the day]. However, he was made for this! He absolutely excelled in following the promptings of Holy Spirit & teaching what God wanted him to teach. It was awesome to see him every now & again take a breath & say out loud, “Okay God, what do you want me to say here? I am not sure, so please direct me to say what you want me to say.” Or, “I am confused, and I know that you are not a God of confusion. Give me the words to speak.”
The picture is from the white board that Dale wrote on all week. In the process, he was just writing things in places & told us that it would all make sense in the end. He was correct. There was clarity in the chaos.
To begin, the Scripture is on the outside to represent that Scripture should surround all that we do. The small yellow/orange words at the top of the board represent the enemy that is being pushed out by the light of who God is. The green “LIVE LIFE DIFFERENTLY! Bring the light of God & ACTIVELY live in it” is spiritual warfare 101. That in itself is the basis for everything about spiritual warfare.
The purple phrases read, “I AM A MIGHTY WARRIOR. Bravery & severe sacrifice will always shift history. Be sure to close the doors. RUN toward your enemy. The brave & courageous heart of Christ is already in us!” These phrases are the foundation of warfare. They are statements that we need to believe & live out. Each one can go a little deeper.
- I AM A MIGHTY WARRIOR. 2 Corinthians 12:9 comes up as I look back at my notes. That reads, “But he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, and my power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.” A warrior, as according to Dale, is one that sees the hurt, the pain, and the fight, which will last, with no end in sight, yet steps into the arena anyway, with his head held high, sword in hand, with his hope in the Lord…and makes his presence known to the enemy.
- Bravery & severe sacrifice will always shift history. We’re not called to be normal or go unnoticed – that’s not how you fight.
- Be sure to close the doors. This is talking about making sure that the enemy doesn’t have any footholds in your life. One of the biggest footholds that I think that all Christians deal with is pride. Dale defined pride in a really cool way. Pride is the incorrect – high or low – assessment of self, others, & circumstances.
- RUN toward your enemy. This goes back to the classic story of David & Goliath. A detail that I didn’t notice in that story in 1 Samuel 17 is the fact that David RAN toward the goliath (1 Samuel 17:48). We know that we win in the end & we know our enemy, so we should run toward him!
- The brave & courageous heart of Christ is already in us! Luke 17:20-21 is the verse that goes with this statement. It says, “Once, on being asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come, Jesus replied, ‘The coming of the kingdom of God is not something that can be observed, nor will people say, ‘Here is it,’ or ‘There is it,’ because the kingdom of God is in your midst.’”
The orange words are the offensive weapons that we can use to fight spiritual warfare. The orange is on top of the purple phrases because the practice is built upon the foundation & eventually they are to be interwoven together to fight the battle. Worship, fasting, thankfulness, encouragement, serving, repenting, speaking life, & prayer are all things that we can do on earth to fight the battle. I also want to go a little deeper with these words.
- Worship – all the Psalms. Actively praising God is actively not choosing the enemy
- Fasting – You fast to fight. Isaiah 58:6-7, “Is not this kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice & untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free & break every yoke? It is not to share your food with the hungry & to provide the poor wanderer with shelter – when you see the naked, to clothe them, & not to turn away from your own flesh & blood?”
- Thankfulness – It’s to let God know that you are on board with what He is doing. Ephesians 5:4, “Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving.”
- Encouragement – You are fighting with God. Just think about how incredible it is to hear an encouraging word from a friend or even a stranger. It totally makes your day.
- Serving – being humble. You are constantly placing yourself under other people. It’s the complete opposite of pride.
- Speaking Life – basically the same as encouragement. A cool quote that Dale said is, “There is no heart too cold to be melted.” Your words matter. Proverbs 18:21, “The tongue has the power of life & death, and those who love it will eat its fruit.”
- Repent – It’s about exposing yourself & shaming the devil. The purpose is to get the relationship between you & God back to the most pure form possible. Acts 3:19-20, “Now repent of your sins & turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped away. Then times of refreshment will come from the presence of the Lord, and he will again send you Jesus, your appointed Messiah.”
- Prayer – What you do on earth in the physical is allowing heaven to move in the supernatural. Be encouraged by the fact that we may be the final punch through to get someone over the mountain! Ephesians 6:18, “Pray in the Spirit at all times & on every occasion. Stay alert & be persistent in your prayers for all believers everywhere.”
And finally, the drawing represents all that God wants to give us & the quantity in which He wishes to give it. The cloud is God & He wishes to pour down peace, His plan, blessings, love, & prosperity. However, our unguarded heart crap only lets little drops of those to come into our lives.
Wow, that was way longer than I thought it would be, so if you made it all the way to the bottom, thank you so much for reading all the way to the end! I really enjoyed this teaching, and I hope that you learned something or God revealed something really cool to you! If you have any questions or would like to leave some input, please feel free to leave it in the comment section below! Please note that this list is not exhaustive. I definitely don’t have all the answers, but I have a lot of awesome people who are really smart around me all the time, so I’m sure that with them & God, an answer is somewhere out there. Have a fantastic day!
With so much love,